Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Library Love

4 years ago, I racked up a $60 library fine. On magazines. They were all returned, in one piece, yet the $60 fine remained. My card expired, and ever since I have been too scared to go back and try and fight my fine. Well, today I mustered up enough courage and went to the library for the first time in 4 years. I pleaded my case to the lady behind the counter, explaining to her my mix-up about how long I could keep an item, but I was willing to to pay some of the fine, but don't you think $60 is a little much, especially since they were all returned? She then told me she would have to talk to someone else about lowering my fine. Well, just then the library director walks by and hears our conversation. I fill him in on what's happening, and admit to him that I've been scared to come back, and he suggests that I pay $10 and call it good, after all, "we want you to enjoy the library!" I was SO grateful and kept thanking them over and over again. What a relief! It was like Christmas. I had to pay $3 to get a new card, thinking I had thrown my old one away. After the transaction was complete, what did I find in my wallet? Yup. My old card. Sigh. Oh well, $13 is better than $60 any day!So I happily browsed for a few minutes until Summer started crying. Some old lady came over to see her, and told me she hoped her crying would wake up her husband who was sleeping in Periodicals. I picked up a few books and I'm back to being a happy library patron once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment